Use Power Analytics’ DesignBase Software to model your power system, whether an industrial facility or a microgrid. DesignBase models form the foundation for feasibility studies, detailed design and construction drawings, power system studies, Arc Flash safety compliance, and the transition to real-time analysis, optimization, and control of the power system network.
To try our cloud-based version of DesignBase 6.0, DesignBase Xi, Click Here. (Please send an email with your name and company information to email@example.com for a coupon code you can enter when you checkout. Your credit card will not be charged unless you decide to continue your subscription to DesignBase Xi after the 30-day trial has expired.)
Top 10 Reasons to Use DesignBase™
Paladin DesignBase power engineering software offers technical features and functions that not only make our customers’ design process more productive… it transforms their organizations.
1. Paladin DesignBase enables real-time simulation, model-based diagnostics that incorporate the current operational environment
Paladin DesignBase models can be re-deployed in “real-time” mode, to ensure that, once constructed, the facility or microgrid operates precisely as it was designed to function. Using Power Analytics’ Paladin Live software or Paladin Microgrid Power Management System (MPMS), the ideal operating design specifications for every component within the design—as well as all system-level model behavior—are calibrated in real-time with actual readings from live operations.
- Power system engineering expertise extends beyond the design stage
- Live operations perform precisely as they were intended in the design stage
- Deviations from “as-designed” specifications are immediately known and investigated to calibrate the model
- The optimal configuration of a Microgrid can be determined in real-time and then deployed, based on current conditions, while maximizing reliability and minimizing costs
2. Paladin DesignBase offers a time series analysis (Quasi-Dynamic Simulation) for the optimization of microgrids (which can be run through real-time MPMS)
Time series is a new foundational element in DesignBase that is critical to the design and optimization of a microgrid (which can include distributed generation, energy storage, renewable generation and dynamic loads) in particular but applies to any dynamic analysis. Dynamic behavior from external events such as weather or controlled process can be considered using time series analysis. It also links the operation of the system directly to the modeling, planning and simulation.
- A Time Series Study can be executed based on measured system data in different time frames and under different system operation scenarios
- Renewable sources such as Solar and Wind generation as well as system loads are a function of time (Generation depends on climate and weather changes including solar irradiance and wind speed)
- Network variations and outages (contingencies) are normally part of a study
- Generation control settings also can be evaluated according to time
- Results can be used for planning and sizing distributed generators and/or energy storage
- Energy (kWh) generation and consumption during different time scales are provided for loads/generations cost evaluation
3. Paladin DesignBase has an easy to use interface
The Paladin DesignBase user interface is the result of a joint development effort between Power Analytics and AutoDesk®, creators of AutoCAD® design solutions; engineers familiar with diagrammatic platforms such as Visio® will quickly be productive with Paladin DesignBase. Not only does Paladin DesignBase integrate the ActiveShapes®, “drag and drop,” “plug and socket” model-building processes, it also features a rich component library of power system assets.
- Novice users can quickly create robust, highly-accurate models with expert proficiency
- Experienced Visio® users quickly gain mastery of Paladin DesignBase
- Enhanced Plug-and-Socket features with automatic connection-checking and data transfer
4. Paladin DesignBase enables master-model based design, simulation
Beyond the Paladin DesignBase modeling environment, Power Analytics provides the industry’s broadest family of simulation programs, to ensure that electrical systems are designed- to ensure stability, reliability, power quality and system safety compliance with IEEE, ANSI, IEC and NFPA standards and regulations. These 50 programs – all working directly from the DesignBase model itself – are used to 1) analyze and optimize power flow, time series study, voltage and transient stability, power quality and reliability, as well as 2) to coordinate system protection using short circuit and PDC programs, and run arc flash analysis to ensure system safety.
- “Master Model” is created once, and continually reused for all applications
- Engineering change orders recommended by simulation programs update automatically Master Model
- Design changes automatically ripple through to all simulation programs
- DesignBase can be used to perform the necessary Arc Flash study and generate the Arc Flash labels necessary for electrical safety compliance
5. Paladin DesignBase supports complex modeling operations
Paladin DesignBase offers users an unparalleled range of features and functions designed to increase their engineering capabilities, without adding technical complexity:
- 800+ pre-defined intelligent modeling objects
- Detailed grid element libraries for more than 100,000 components
- Complex Components
- User-Customizable Symbols Catalog
- Project Layout Management
- User-Customizable Working Environment Layout
- User has complete control over the Paladin DesignBase user preferences
- All design expertise is automatically codified into the DesignBase model
- Model components can be easily used and reused in future design projects
6. Paladin DesignBase enables multi-user, team-based engineering
Paladin DesignBase empowers users to organize projects in a team framework, allowing several engineers to work on the same project. At the end of the project, the project manager will interconnect the independent drawings, and consequently will generate the entire project model.
- Tasks that are sequential in other systems can be completed concurrently with Power Analytics
- Continuous, team-driven work cycle accelerates the project timetable
- Increased cooperation between team members promotes higher-quality design
7. Paladin DesignBase supports automatic data structure analysis
This is a powerful function that automatically checks the drawings components and their database. This feature allows the user to fix either the model components layout or the project data base against the displayed components.
- Automatic updates of legacy information into new DesignBase environment
- Per user selection, can delete obsolete components not found in the database, and…
- Can also generate needed components found in the database, but missing in the model
8. Paladin DesignBase performs automatic error checking
This state of the art function allows the user to automatically check the network connectivity and voltage consistency… to automatically detect any network connectivity inconsistency and repairs it.
- Potential design flaws are isolated and flagged by DesignBase intelligence
- Automatically adjusts network data for system consistency
- Automatically provides data connectivity model components
9. Paladin DesignBase supports hyperlinking to third-party applications
Paladin DesignBase can connect to any Windows-based application to their Paladin DesignBase project, including any website. This is a powerful feature that allows users to organize their Paladin DesignBase projects – stored in a single project database – as multiple pages or multiple drawings project. For a given project, the hyperlink feature is a search, find, open the drawing model and locate the network component on the drawing.
- DesignBase models become boundary-less, extending wherever necessary
- Models are not constrained to CAD-only elements, but to all business applications
- A single project database ensures manageability over the extended design model
10. Third-party compatibility
Paladin DesignBase is completely compatible with AutoCAD; users can import/export any drawing from/to AutoCAD, with *.dwg or *.dxf file extension. In addition, Paladin DesignBase is completely compatible with Microsoft® Office Products and any Windows® application. It emulates Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access user interfaces, and users can import or export any file from these Microsoft applications; any Windows-based application can be embedded into Power Analytics model. In addition, a new Excel import feature provides simple data integration through GIS databases.
- User has the option of importing schematics and wiring diagrams
- Global enhancements providing detail on wiring
- Users can import their spreadsheet data format (commonly from GIS databases) into DesignBase and generate the drawings automatically
- Users can export model with associated Power Analytics application (Load Flow, Short Circuit, etc.) without requiring locally-hosted applications