Funded by the California Energy Commission, Power Analytics has been working with SDG&E engineers to develop enhanced power models of the Borrego Springs power systems. We have run advanced power studies to analyze the operation of the microgrid and provide recommendations to comply with the operational parameters expected in both static and dynamic conditions.
On March 6th and 7th, SDG&E engineers will conduct tests of the microgrid. Power Analytics will be on hand to provide in-depth analysis to include:
- Track transitions to and from island mode and during island mode operation; traditional electric utility metrics of momentary outage frequency, sustained outage frequency and sustained outage duration utilizing Time Series analysis data.
- Measure and compare total harmonic distortion, voltage sags, and swells, through transitions to and from island mode and during island mode operation.
- Measure that the minimum island duration requirement of 2 hours has been met.
- Measure and verify how much DER (3rd party and other) power was utilized to meet the island duration requirement.
- Measure and verify how much DER (3rd party and other) energy was utilized to meet the island duration requirement.
- Measure the utility system voltage during island mode operation.
- Measure the utility circuit load for the circuit which hosts the DER during island mode operation.
- Measure the utility circuit energy delivery for the circuit which hosts the DER during island mode operation.
- Measure the ability of the DER to respond to utility requests when called upon to support the microgrid.
- Measure the island’s voltage during island mode operation.
- Measure the effectiveness of DER dispatch with respect to meeting the microgrid loads.
- Measuring the communication reliability between SDG&E’s dedicated microgrid controller and the third-party owned DER equipment. Ensure that DER readiness is available when called upon during emergency services and when meeting real-time load changes. Also, measuring the reliability of protective relaying that will sense an external grid disturbance and island the microgrid.
- Perform a side-by-side comparison of the costs and cost-effectiveness of third-party and utility-controlled DER alternatives to traditional utility distribution circuit upgrades and equipment. Based on agreed levelized cost of energy (LCOE) provided by SDG&E.
We will update with posts after the CEC and SDG&E release our final report to the public.