Caterpillar’s plant in Pontiac, Illinois, is a critical part of their supply chain. Due to its position on the Commonwealth Edison sub-transmission network, it has been susceptible to voltage sags, causing material damage and resulting in cascading effects across the entire supply chain. The plant itself is large and complicated, with over 50,000 individual machines, numerous motors > 50 HP, and generator backup for only a portion of the plant. Power Analytics created a model that accurately reproduced the effects of the voltage sags based on the known supply conditions, then provided two alternative solutions to mitigate the issues, one using traditional UPS technology and the second with a combination of various distributed generation technologies. A follow-up project for a plant wide arc-flash study is in discussion.
- Power Analytics introduces the Power Digital Twin™
- Power Analytics announces availability of new Grid Element Library for the addition of YANMAR 35 kW CHP
- Power Analytics Accepting Crypto Currency
- California Energy Comission Grant: Borrego Springs Microgrid Project
- Power Analytics Continues Work On Borrego Springs Microgrid Project With SDG&E