- Guidlines for Large Photovoltaic System Integration
- The paper summarizes the result of a research project funded by the Department of Energy (DOE) in collaboration with the University of California at San Diego (UCSD), . One presents a planning guideline and establishes interconnection criteria for integrating Photo Voltaic Generation (PVG) into the power systems (transmission and distribution). Some of the experiences/guidelines in the field of wind farm integration are used here since wind generation and PVG generation share many common power electronics devices used in their control schemes and both generation types are intermittent resources with similar degree of predictability and forecast methodology. Recommendations are given on the best practice promising standards for interconnecting large PV generation to power system.
- Intelligent Automation and Controls of Power Industry Microgrid solutions
- Power is one of the fundamentals in developing and developed nations world-wide. Over 80% of the world’s population does not have reliable power. Without guaranteed power, nations quickly lose capabilities, efficiencies, and other critical infrastructure to their people and livelihood. The barrier for reliable power, in the past was the large investment requirement for centralized bulk generation. Additionally, the belief was that without large centralized power, the nation would not get efficiencies needed to provide reliable power.
- A Users Guide To Arc Resistant Low Voltage Switchgear & Motor Control – Analytical Comparison VS Arc Flash Test Results
- This paper describes enhanced safety and maintenance features required within LV Motor Control Centers and Switchgear. Enhanced capabilities will include discussion of using NFPA 70E , ANSI C37.20.7  and IEEE 1584  in the development of low voltage arc resistance equipment. Highlights will include discussion of arc flash danger to personnel and the solutions used in the development of arc resistant low voltage switchgear and motor control centers. Arc flash software modeling shall be compared with actual testing of equipment per ANSI C37.20.7.
- The UCSD Microgrid –A Case Study in Success Virtual Microgrid Summit
- In many ways UCSD is like a small city. With over 45 thousand people on campus, and energy intensive research and medical facilities operating 7/24, the campus must be able to provide reliable, cost effective power. With $250M/yr. of new building construction, UCSD’s grid must be prepared for this expansion.
UCSD self generates 80% of its electric demand from two sources: a 30MW natural gas co-generation power plant, and 1.2 MW of Solar PV on campus rooftops. Construction of a 2.8 MW fuel cell has been contracted. The remaining 20% of electric demand is purchased from the grid.
- Opportunities and Challenges of Integrating Wind, Solar and other Distributed Generation & Energy Storage
- Basic guidelines for the preparation of a technical work for in nearly every industry vertical, as the industry matures the industry goes through a transformation that involves innovation and efficiencies. For each of these areas the innovation and efficiencies are a direct correlation of the technology and capabilities and commonly societal and business development of the time. For example, as our far past farmers moved from hand planting to plows and wheels. In the near past, the introduction of cell phones completely changed what had been a highly regulated environment and then further innovations in the cell phone business has changed how we all talk, text, and surf thanks mainly to the iPhone and the “killer apps”. The energy vertical is very similar to the cell business, where to most people it is a commodity that is a monthly expense item on a bill or a line item in the GL. What our industry is looking for is the “killer app” that can transform and “jump” the industry into something that customers get excited about, enable the promised value propositions, and make Power solutions easy to use from a central controls basis. This paper talks about the opportunities and challenges for distributed energy or “new energy sources” and how the strategy most companies are using are flawed due to the lack foresight of the Killer application and changing the business proposition including parallels to other industries and technologies.